Monday 9 July 2018

WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE OMOREDE OSIFO – MARSHAL TELLS IT ALL* HOW SHE SERVED TWO GOVERNORS

Hon. Omorede Osifo- Marshal

By Fred Iwenjora
Her name continues to ring when talk is about women of substance in Edo state.  As a female politician of note, delectable Omorede Osifo –Marshal the former banker has served as Commissioner in the state under two different Governors and hopes to continue to serve in any capacity.
She speaks on many issues including womanhood and politics etc

Let's begin from the very begining; could you take the reader on your profile?

Omorede Osifo-Marshal attended St Maris Goretti school Benin City and later studied Economics and Statistics at University of Benin. She later did an M.SC course in Banking and Finance from same university. Mathematics runs in the family as my father was renowned in that subject just like my children. I started working in the bank like I always wished starting with Allied Bank. I later moved to Crown Merchant where I was transferred to set up a Benin branch and became number two in the management in Benin . I later relocated to the United states where I worked with a big mortgage banking institution for some years before I noticed Hillary Clinton who inspired me to desire change in the system. She was vocal and audacious. I returned to Nigeria to set up Advancement for women in Democracy, a forum to galvanise women to stand and be counted. We set up all over Nigeria starting from Abuja till the ward level. Our message was that the man is still the head of the home but must need women as supporters. It was not long before men started bringing their wives to come and learn the best ways to contribute to home building. I later contested for the House of Reps seat but was later advised to cool off even after I had won the primaries. Big men of our party advised that I step down for another candidate who had grown grossly unpopular amongst the electorate. I did but he also lost the election. Voters said if not me no one else no matter what I told them. Then came my appointment as Commissioner for two administrations. I later went to Harvard to study Innovations in Governance where I met the Crown Prince and now King of Buthan as Classmate. I hope to still return to Harvard.You have played various roles as mother, politician, banker….which of these have you played well?
I believe that of all the roles I have played, I have played the role of wife and mother better than all the other roles. Every other roles have been secondary. If I want to rate myself as to how best I have played the role of wife and mother, I will rate myself 90%. I do not let my other roles and busy schedule interfere with my entire family life which is first for me. God forbid if anything happens to any one now, it is family first so in my very busy roles and schedule as politician and organizer of people, I try my best to make sure that everything is running very well at home. It is all about arranging and prioritizing. If one can prioritize tasks very well, schedules could be juggled. One can go to work, do politics and combine very well. But before going to work to do all these, you make sure your kids are also doing what they are supposed to do. Find time to check out their school schedules, spend time with them to know what they like. I first take care of my husband’s needs because he is the number one. If my home front is not okay, I do not know what I should be doing in public.
Since your tenures as Commissioners for two Governors of Edo state, few know what you are doing now?
Well.. Omorede is still actively involved in organizing for politics but not handling any political portfolio for now. I am one of the women leaders of APC in Oredo LGA, Edo state. Of course you recall that I was Commissioner for Arts Culture and Tourism and SA on Intergovernmental Affairs during the tenure of Governor Chief Lucky Igbinedion. Then with Comrade Governor Adams Oshiomhole, I was Commissioner for Youths and sports. I am lucky to be the only woman in Edo state to have held such in two different governments in Edo state. I was also shortlisted to work with Governor Obaseki but still waiting. I left a good job in the United states to return because I wanted to serve my people so will dive at any opportunity to serve if it comes my way both at state and national level. When I resigned my good job with a mortgage institution to return to Nigeria, people felt I was mad. In a nutshell I returned to serve my country and I am waiting for such opportunities. As for the forthcoming elections coming up in 2019, I am still looking and consulting. In politics one does not have to just jump into the fray without discussing with your party elders and there is much permutations and dialogue and only time will tell this.
How can you assess the role of women in Nigeria politics? Do you think women are doing enough to be accepted in Nigerian politics?
Nigerian women have done their best but I think we have not been allowed to do better. The men continue to hold the women back. Nigerian men are yet to see that we can compliment them in governance. They feel bad that we should be struggling with them for positions in governance. They see us as only their wives who should be at home tending their kitchens and their children. It is a big challenge for career women. But we have to keep on trying our best to stay strong and focused. We can’t run away from the arena just because the men say so. If we do, they will rejoice that they have run us out of the arena. Could you imagine that in Edo state House of Assembly we only have a woman, Hon Elizabeth? It is not good for Nigerian women and even for the men too and the country at large. But Nigerian men will not allow this. Nigerian women are also good for elective positions not just for appointments. So before everything, the Nigerian woman has to first look before leaping, check if the men will allow them before trying to seek elective positions. The men will be screaming she is a woman! she is a woman!. But does being a woman stop her from doing anything she is supposed to do? God gave the woman so much power that some have been Deputy Governors, Senators, members of House of Representative etc. All Nigerian men should do from now is to give Nigerian women the chance to contribute to the growth of Nigeria when they come out to seek elective positions.
What fond memories do you remember of your times as Commissioner for arts culture and tourism and at youths and sports ministry?
I recall those years with nostalgia. As commissioner for Arts culture and Tourism, I did so much to put Edo up there as the home of culture. I had arranged an international exchange programme between Edo state and Germany. Artistes from Edo and Germany acted on same stage. It took a lot of preparations as we performed the African version of William Shakespeare’s Tempest. It was a great exposure for Edo state artistes who rehearsed with their German counterparts. The stage was lit up with black and white actors and held the city of Bochum spell bound. The Mayor of the city was present as part of the audience. The leader of the delegation was former Military Governor of Mid-western state Late Dr Samuel Ogbemudia. We also organized some investment drive for the state which attracted several benefits to the state. It led to an invitation to a renewable energy summit which Edo state was represented.
Again, it was during my tenure that I hosted all South South Culture commissioners to revive culture. It was then that Igue Festival got national recognition. I did not end there as Nollywood got full recognition. The Cultural center in Benin was bubbling with activities as plays were staged. I also worked hard for the reclamation of the famous Benin Moat which had been abandoned for years. I figured that the Benin Moat would be compared as a national monument like the Great Wall of China if reclaimed so I moved to begin this. I hosted world beauty queens in Benin and we were all at the Moat with brooms sweeping the messy refuse dump the Moat had become. I still cherish the Letter of commendation from Late Oba Eradiuwa for this effort.
I was at the Ministry of Youths and sports for only ten months but I also made my mark. The main challenge was the backlog of unpaid salaries for players and staff of the former Bendel Insurance (Edo United). Moral was at the lowest ebb and the team was at the lower ranks of the league table. I first cleared the salaries and the team moved from lower Division two to second on Nigeria premiership table. We also revived all the other sports and took Edo contingent to all national sports events anywhere in Nigeria. I feel good to recall all these.  

What did you learn from your two bosses?
They were both humorous people who made us laugh and had much sense of humor. Chief Igbinedion always told stories that lightened our meetings. Comrade Oshiomhole also was spontaneously humorous in his ways.
For Chief Igbinedion, he was good at delegating and allowed you to take care of the situation while Comrade was a perfectionist who always wanted to see it done right. It was great working with those men who are great leaders in their own right. I learnt so much from them and won’t forget my times with them.
How do you feel to hear that Edo state has earned names for the trafficking in human beings across the Atlantic especially women….?
I do not feel good about this at all. The stigma stings but I say it is not only Edo people that are involved in human trafficking. However I thank Oba Ewuare for taking action about this. He has ordered that the menace must stop. There are several things to engage in here in Nigeria that will provide livelihood for all. I still wonder why many feel that it is only when they travel to an unknown destination with enormous risks that things will be well for them while there are many opportunities in Nigeria. There is no place like home like the saying goes. There are several untapped areas to explore like fashion designing, farming also is a money spinner for those who are patient. I am happy about the activities of Governor Obaseki in this regard for those returnees. He has done much and still doing for them to be resettled into the society.

You often talk about Hillary Clinton….
Oh yes… she is my greatest inspiration so far in life. I feel bad that she did not become US president. I like her comportment and her carriage. I love the way she handled the Monica Lewensky scandal. She stood behind her husband all the way. She is focused.  I like such women and have always wished to be like Hillary. In fact, she inspired me to return home to Nigeria from the US to organize women. Her activities opened my eyes about how far women could go if they remain focused in a male dominated world
Do you consider yourself a woman of style?
I have a simple easy going style. I am not very crazy about fashion. Most of the things I put on are said to be nice on me. But I do not go out of my way to follow fashion. I don’t spend time on the mirror. I could do my make up while going to work in the car. I am used to that. Yet people think I am fashion conscious but that is not so. It may be because I wear things that look good on me. My work determines what I wear. As commissioner for arts, culture and tourism, I wore attires that represented my office. I wore traditional wears most of the time. As Commissioner for Youths and sports, I wore what suited that era. But in all I could be found in flowing African wears and gowns. As a banker I also have many corporate wears. However I wear what is appropriate for each occasion. I wear African, corporate and casuals as jeans and tops at home or weekends.
I can’t do without a watch and earrings. It does not have to be any designers but has to fit. Any good one is good. I believe that one does not have to spend millions for fashion because it will fade away and not be in vogue sooner than you know it as it continuously changes.

6 comments:

  1. Hon.Omorede Osifo is focused, intelligent nd very respectful,a combination that is getting rare nowadays. I wish her more fulfilling roles in our democratic processes.We women must stand with ourselves, if not the men will continue relegating us to the background

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hon.Omorede Osifo is focused, intelligent nd very respectful,a combination that is getting rare nowadays. I wish her more fulfilling roles in our democratic processes.We women must stand with ourselves, if not the men will continue relegating us to the background

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. your mother would have been terribly proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hon. Omorede Osifo Marshall is one of those that encourage my faith that the is hope for our country, that we have resources persons capable to bring us to the promise Land.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take a course and fight for changes..and there are many things wrong with our democracy. .i.e (1)Independent candidacies should be allowed to run for elections to loosen the grip by parties who sponsor incompetent candidates.(2)Monthly allocations of revenue should be published by all state govts.and how the money was spent on a monthly basis.The money belongs to the people not the governor. (3)Allow the people to take part in their governance by monthly questions and answer sessions and feedback. Thus lies the essence of true democracy.
    Semo ukponmwan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take a course and fight for changes..and there are many things wrong with our democracy. .i.e (1)Independent candidacies should be allowed to run for elections to loosen the grip by parties who sponsor incompetent candidates.(2)Monthly allocations of revenue should be published by all state govts.and how the money was spent on a monthly basis.The money belongs to the people not the governor. (3)Allow the people to take part in their governance by monthly questions and answer sessions and feedback. Thus lies the essence of true democracy.
    Semo ukponmwan

    ReplyDelete