Tuesday 1 May 2018

THE FULL STORY OF ROGERS ALL STARS, FATHER OF MUSICIANS BY FRED IWENJORA(2) · How he spots a hit artiste, trips to Congo to import makossa and soukous music…etall


 W e continue with the special series on Chief Sir Romanus Nwaementa Okonkwo, founder Rogers All stars music
Chief Sir R.N Okonkwo better known as Rogers All stars


Could you make a long list of your catalogue of albums?

It would be very difficult to count our albums because they are numerous
We have recorded over 200 albums of different artistes from Nigeria and the entire West Africa. There are even several of the albums that were recorded without making it after release while some others may not have been released at all.
We had a lot of musicians both local and international on our label with several catalogues. There are some that were not recognized; there are artistes when they come we take them to the studio to start their albums but along the line we discover that the person is not talented to do that work, we stop there and advise the artist to go to school because not everybody will be super stars. If I see the born artiste, I would know.
However, music business in Nigeria started changing in the 1994 as no one does records these days but CDs and online. We have not stopped because several of our catalogues are still selling while our studios are still wide open for those who want the real sound.

Having been in this business and scored several hits after another, how do you know a great artiste?

I listen to the message and I listen to the voice very well. The rhythm is our work to create. We also take note of the artiste and his art, stature and physique to see if it is sellable. We also check out the number of tracks you have to make an album and give the listeners variety. Nowadays young people go to the studio to record a track and pay radio station to play the track. When you start looking for the album you would not see. The quality may also be very poor. So many artistes of these days come together with other twelve artistes to come up with what they call collabo album. I don’t know what is happening. There seems to be so much unhealthy competition in the music business now as every one wants to be a star. You only find just a few unique artistes as every one imitates the other.

You seem to have come a long way and have the secrets of getting out the best from an artiste. Could you share these secrets?

When I have an artiste I know what to do to get the best because I saw the highest standards of artiste management and the business of it because my music was sold internationally, I worry these days about what we record these days as sound. It is unfortunate. People can’t sing; they bark like dogs and people are dancing. In those days, music was played with discipline and not any how. I gathered much experience in seven years. I started by buying and selling of records until I decided to record artistes. I would take my artistes to DECCA, Lagos where we buy records to record them as Decca also had a big studio where many big artistes from across Africa were recorded. At that same time I travel regularly to East Africa to Kenya and Congo and all those places to buy records. I knew Franco Makiadi, leader of the famous Ok Jazz, Tabu Ley and Rocheroux first hand and sold their music in Nigeria, They were big artistes from Congo and Zaire known world wide. Their names still ring in world music.

What informed your decision to travel far for your kind of music?

I decided to travel out to source my own market since the moguls as CT Onyekwelu, Right Time and others had dominated the system, So I reasoned that I needed to carve my own niche So I started to travel out to get the music from East Africa into Nigeria. I had direct business dealings with Ok Jazz and most of the music companies of those countries. I am the first person who started importing Congo music into Nigeria. I take that credit quote me. I was in my early 20yrs when I started to import music into this country. There was a factory in Congo producing several records from that area. I was inspired by the fact most Nigerians listened to radio stations from that area which infiltrated the entire eastern Nigeria. I will say very correctly that Congo music influx into Nigeria was made possible by the wide coverage of their radio stations which reached the east of Nigeria like it was being played from our backyard.
So I took advantage of that understanding by traveling to bring these records down here physically. The fans of such music showed that they were delighted to have them by buying them fast.  A lot of people who even had the means to travel then were too timid or too afraid to travel far. I took that risk may be because I was a youngster roaring to go.  There was another radio station in Santa Isabelle, Equatorial Guinea which also penetrated Nigeria. They only played only Congolese tunes from makosa and soukous which Nigerians enjoyed.

When did you make this first trip to Congo?

 I traveled to Congo Kinshasa for the first time in 1965, two years after getting freedom from my master and hustling for a living in music marketing. I went for the passport and then to the Zaire Embassy in Lagos and they quickly gave me visa. I told the man who interviewed me that I was going to their country to buy their music as a dealer. He expressed surprise at my boldness considering my young age at that time and advised me where to get my ticket. I bought it from Air Sabena and travelled the next day. I employed a translator who assisted me because I couldn’t speak French. Most of them spoke English. They took me to Franco Makiadi, the leader and owner of OK Jazz Orchestra, the very popular band that ruled the world of Congo music. When I arrived, we set up a meeting at one of his very expensive hotels in that country. We discussed several business ideas and I was taken to the record company that manufactured his music as well as other big musicians and I made my selections of the best; the ones I knew the fans would love. Do you know that at the moment I landed at Onitsha from that trip, the lot I had bought finished immediately so I was encouraged and had to prepare to travel again? It went on like that until the last trip which shook me to my marrows. It was in 1967 when we were on air and there was an announcement that the Nigerian Civil war had started.

Watch out for continuation of this interview on ejigbocitydiary.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment