Friday 7 January 2022

MASTER GUITARIST FORTUNE O’TEGA NAMES HIS NEW GUITAR

 

Fortune O'tega

SHOWBIZ

Following the tradition of some of the master guitarists who inspired him like BB King, Chuck Berry, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Eddy Van Halen, George Benson, Earl Klugh, Eric Gayle and a host of others, Nigeria’s guitar export to United States Fortune O’tega has christened his latest acquisition.

The Urhobo born talent who had hands in the music of Feix Lebarty, Christy Essien Igbokwe, Mike Okri, Onyeka Onwenu and a host of others  before relocating to the US named his new instrument Kesiena, an Urhobo word for “time has come”.

Kesiena

In a chat earlier today, California based O’tega who had worked with Kurtis Blow, Steven Seagal,  Montell Jordan, Ray J, Kelly Price, Shanice Wilson and a host of other world renowned stars including Buster Rhymes, Lil Zhane and others , explained that “great players often buy different instruments for their unique flavours. Kesiena is my sixth guitar. I marshal out any one that will give me a unique sound”

George Benson

According to him, "whenever I remember how far I have gone with the guitar, I remember one of my favourite guitar mentors and friends, Cameroonian born Ethonde Roddy Fuller who introduced me to jazz playing  and gave me the foundations in the discipline of regular practice in order to perfect my art. Roddy made me know I could sound like standard players. He in fact de- Nigerianised my approach and projected me for world class playing”  

Ethonde Roddy Fuller

By Fred Iwenjora

No comments:

Post a Comment