Wednesday 21 March 2018

AMAYO UZO PHILLIPS: MAN WHO CREATED AKI AND PAWPAW SPEAKS ON FIRST TIME HE SAW THEM



Amayo Uzo Phillips
Amayo Uzo Philpps
By Fred Iwenjora
Aki and Pawpaw is seen by many as most popular comedy characters in Nollywood history but few know much about the man who created the two characters and made them into a popular film.
He is Imo state born film maker and director, Amayo Uzo Phillips who is one of Nollywoods most respected.
In a chat with ECD recently, Phillips recalls that he was at NIKO Hotels one of the actors rendezvous in Enugu when Chinedu Ikedieze (Aki)and Osita Iheme(Pawpaw) met for the first time.
Said the graduate of theater Arts from the University of Jos popularly called High Priest by his friends and associates “Having met several actors, produced and directed several Nollywood movies in its history I see as most memorable the day I met with the characters and decided to write the scripts that became one of the most popular characters in Nollywood history: Aki na Ukwa better corrupted as Aki and Pawpaw.
“I still view it as divine because everything happened so fast. I had known Chinedu before then as a gregarious young man who either was still in IMT or had already graduated but he was a regular at Enugu movie arena trying his luck. But Osita told me he came from Aba to try his hands on acting since he felt he was talented. I remember vividly that I was directing a production and we were camped at Niko Hotels Enugu. It was about 10 am on that day and the crew was waiting for the location bus to take us out. I saw the two hug each other when they met and I think it was their first time of meeting.  It was a big spectacle to see the nostalgia with which they held unto each other and an idea struck me immediately to write a script for and about them.  I had to observe them for a few more days and wrote the script in three days. We also shot it in two and half days

Aki and Pawpaw

According to Phillips “I decided to write a simple comedy story of two little urchins and their several pranks in the neighborhood using their physical features as highlight. It was a mirror on my own rascally life as a child. Now let me shock you; Chinedu got N20,000 for the role while Osita got N15,000.
 “It was late popular movies marketer KASVID Chukwuka Emelifeownu that marketed it. He did not believe in the project originally so decided to release through his other label Soft Touch movies  and the rest is history. I don’t think any other comedy movie can beat the record Aki  na Ukwa has created in Nollywood.  It was titled Aki na Ukwa by KASVID even though I called it The Dwarfs in my script.

Aki and Pawpaw


“It was people who started to call it Aki and Pawpaw. It created a lifelong identity for Chinedu and Osita and I am really grateful to God for being associated with their rise to stardom” said the soft spoken director who has done many other movies including Peace Offering, a cross cultural production between Nollywood and Cameroons, Mosquito, and Shericoco…the movie that made Funke Akindele a big star in the east of Nigeria amongst numerous others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment